Re: Air Tank (configured as text only)

To: blownh-d <blownh-d@jymis.com>
Subject: Re: Air Tank (configured as text only)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:58:09 -0400
At 02:18 PM 10/29/2004 -0600, blownh-d wrote:

>Because the air operated door opening systems are after market not all
>are alike.  My #1880 has a rectangular tank that fits inside the rear
bumper.
>It looks professional and is out of the way yet easy to get to. The tank on
>#2745 is a kluge that looks like a used freon tank stuffed behind the
>transmission.

Don,

The rectangular one in the bumper is correct.  That is the original system
designed by Terry Tanner.  After his was on the market, many others have tried
to kludge a system together.

>So I would like to make a change but first I need to know my options.

You can contact Terry, and purchase one - about $200.  John Martin also
sells "new" air tanks which mount behind the headlight systems.  I believe
you need 2 tanks to hold enough air.

>So if some owners would share what their system uses I would appreciate it.

>The operation of the doors is different between my Bricklins. The
>buttons have to be held to fully open or close the doors on #1880.
>The other system only requires one touch to fully operate the doors.
>I like the latching solenoid system better and am considering
>changing #1880 to that. So who sells what system?

The normal switches are momentary, so you have to hold them.  The original
swithes were DPDT ON-OFF-ON.  Don't know how they did the "latching" switches.
When you press the switch on the "latching" system, does the switch say in
the
"pressed" position?

I guess that would work.  The doors would open to the extent of the cylinder
and once full of air, no problem trying to put more air to them until you
returned the switch to the "off" position.  Same for going down, as you are
simply dumping the air in the cylinders.

However, I don't like the idea of the "latching" switches.  Opening may not
be too much of a problem.  But closing could be a problem.  If you started
to close the door, and someone decided to get in or out, they'd get hit by
a pretty heavy door.  Just my $.02.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229