club membership

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: club membership
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 10:59:07 -0400
This is directed towards the non Bricklin International club members on the
list.

I'm think that about 1/2 of the people on the mailing list are not members
of Bricklin International.  There is no requirement to be a member to
subscribe to the list, so that's fine.  However, the club does sponser both
the mailing list, the web page and forumn.  The club is trying to change with
the times by providing these services to both member and non-members.  And yes
we are hoping that you will join the club based on the help you receive
through these support groups.

As an officer in the club, and the publisher of the club's magazine, I would
be very intereseted to hear from the non club members as to:

1. Why they aren't a member?
2. What they think a club should do or provide?

Any other toughts on the subject.

I realize that for many of us, finances are very tight, and car ownership
isn't cheap.  But I think that most of the people on the mailing list and
forum receive help that more than saves them the cost of club dues.

The A/C compressor on my 95 Voyager van just went south.  I've got a friend
that had his own A/C shop for years.  So I called him up and asked if he'd
help me do the work - I especially needed his vac. pump, and leak detectors.
He said sure.  So I got a new compressor, filter dryer, expansion valve and
3 cans of R134a and went over to his place yesterday (Saturday).  We spent
about 7 hours working on the van.  Everything is working great now!  I asked
him what I owed him, he said about $25 - so I gave him $40.  I also noticed
he doesn't have much in the way of metric tools.  So I'm going to buy him a
set of metric sockets.  Total cost of parts was about $450 - labor $40 and
the socket set about $20.  WOW what a deal!!!!  For under $500 I got the
A/C fixed!!!!  It would have cost me at least $1500 any place else.  The
point is that I know I saved a ton of money on the repair.  Just like
you all get when we answer your questions on how to fix something, or where
to get a part.

But I have to protect my source also.  So I treat him right! Give him enough
money to take his wife out to dinner, and buy him a tool that he doesn't have.
The same thing goes for Bricklin International.  We need to protect the
club.  It gives a lot of people a lot of help with the magazine articles,
and the forum and mailing list.  We need to support the Bricklin vendors.
Without them, we won't have parts, and the cars will slowly fall apart.
We need each other!!!

The club is looking for ways to get new menbers, new blood, and to
continue to exist and grow.

So, I'm asking what else can the club do for you that it isn't, and why
don't you become members?

Phone:  (757) 495-8229