Re: Bringing 2311 back to life

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bringing 2311 back to life
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:14:35 -0400
At 07:44 PM 4/14/2006 EDT, DCROWE2000@aol.com wrote:

>My '75 has been in storage for many years and I am really anxious to start
>driving it again.
>Can you please recommend which article(s) from the Brickline (and any other
>sources you might think are good) which would be useful.
>Thanks,

David,

Here are 2 articles that we've run in the past:

Vehicle Storage Procedure

Vehicle Storage Procedure       1998    22      4       13--18  Lou Ratsos

Car Storage Tips                1999    24      1       24      Fred Thomas

I think we have run a lot more in smaller pieces in the "What They're Up TO"
section of the magazine.

But probably the most important, is DON'T try and start the engine with
the starter!!!!!

If it hasn't been run in a while, say 9 mo. or longer, pull the plugs,
squirt some oil in the each cylinder, and turn the engine over with
a wrench on the crank bolt.

If it won't turn, you've got problems.  Usually a piston ring stuck to the
cylinder wall.  Try using some PB blast in all the cylinders.  Let it sit
for several hours, then try again.  It may take 2 weeks to free this trying
it every day, and putting more PB Blast in each cylinder.

Once the engine will turn over by hand, leave the plugs out, and spin it
up on the starter for about 15-20 seconds.  Watch you oil pressure gauge.
Repeat the 15 seconds with 5 to 10 second cool down UNTIL you get oil
pressure.

Once you have oil pressure, you can put the plugs back in and try to fire
it.

As George said, you'll want to pull the carb and clean it, drain the fuel
out of the gas tank and blow out the fuel lines.

Also replace the brake fluid, and make sure the brakes are working before
you go flying down the street. :)

Hope this helps.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229