Re: Recommended Spray Can Primer for Acylic

To: <gschroeder@comcast.net>, "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Recommended Spray Can Primer for Acylic
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 05:22:22 -0400
DO NOT USE POLYURETHANE PRIMER on acrylic, you are asking for problems, you
"can" use a polyester primer, I have in the past without issues at least.
Once the acrylic has been sealed with the polyester you can use polyurethane
over the polyester. you cannot get a polyester primer in a spray can. it
requires MEKP (methylethylketoneperoxide) to harden and once mixed has a
bout 1/2 hour of pot life before it goes off. I have no knowledge of
waterbased sealers that stick to acrylic. IF it is  a small area you want to
touch up you may want to try a sign shop that does lighted signs, they have
paints that are acrylic safe and may have a color close to what you need

On 7/11/06 11:55:22 PM, Greg Schroeder (gschroeder@comcast.net) wrote:
> I have read through the forum and searched the email index and I have not
seen
a primer that is available in a spray can that was recommended. I am seeing
that Terry recommends water based sealant and others recommended a
polyurethane primer.  I just want to paint the acrylic roof panel.  It has a
lot of cracks and stress fractures.  I was hoping to experiment with just
painting this piece and not having to invest into a complete car painting
system at this time.  If I can get the required primer/sealant in a spray
can
it would be more than enough for this small job.  Any recommendations?

Greg 0036