Re: Recommended Spray Can Primer for Acylic - Krylon H20???

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Recommended Spray Can Primer for Acylic - Krylon H20???
From: "Greg Schroeder" <gschroeder@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:27:50 -0500
Below is an email chain that I had with Krylon about their new H20 water
based products. I was mainly concerned with the primer since the clean up
instructions for the paint is soap and water and for the primer it was a
paint solvent. I know they have kind of disclaimed their statement, but have
I asked all the correct questions? Does anyone have any experience with this
product?

I may go ahead an experiment with roof panel since mine looks so bad
cosmetically.  If I do this what is the time frame that the acrylic starts
to break down?  Is it with a few days, months or years?

Greg 0036

 I am looking
> for a primer that I could use on acrylic surface. I have been told that
it
> needs to be water based. Is the H20 primer the correct one to use or
should
> I look at the vinyl primer?
>
> Thank You.

> Greg,
>
> Thank you for taking the time to contact us.  The H20 primer (2614) is
the
> best product for this application.  It should be available at your local
> Walmart.
>
> Have a great day.
>
> Regards,
> Ray

Ray

Is there not any concern that the primer will break down the acrylic?  I
purchased a can of the primer and the clean up instructions are not the
same
as the paint.  I know that water based sealant and polyester based primer
will work and not affect the acrylic.  Does this primer fit into this
category?

Greg
Greg,

The primer should not break down the acrylic, but there are several
different types of acrylic on the market and we can not test our product
over all of them.  It would be best to spray a small test area to ensure
both compatibility and satisfactory results.

Regards,