Re: Air conditioning conversions

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air conditioning conversions
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:39:13 -0400
At 10:15 AM 8/21/2006 -0500, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>There has always been a lot of discussion on how to upgrade the A/C
>system in a Bricklin.  The defacto standard seems to be to replace R12
>with R134.  However, It has been suggested to me to use R416A as a
>replacement for R12.  I'm told you can use all the same hoses with R416A
>and it is cooler than R12.

>Any comments from anyone on this?

Kevin,

I'm not an A/C pro, in fact I have trouble spelling A/C.  However, I do
have a friend that has helped me with all my cars and their A/C problems.
When we had to change out the compressor on my Honda, we used one of the
R12 Substitutes and I believe it was R416a.  It worked very well until
one of the hoses blew.  When I went back to him after replacing the hose,
he was out of the substitute and we used R12 again.  But he uses the
substitutes.  They run about the same price as R134a.

I've been trying to learn more about A/C systems, and have been looking
for a course.  I don't want a 2 yr HVAC course, just a semister of Saturdays.
I did find one Auto A/C course at the local Community College, but it is
about $500, I think 3 hours a night for 3 nights a week.  I guess I may
just have to take that one, one of these days.  Just getting up at 5:30am
to go to work, I like to kick back about 8pm before I go to bed at 10pm.

BTW, Haynes has a pretty good book out on auto A/C system.  I just finished
reading it.  But like so many things, you really need a lot of hands on
to get a real feel for it.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229