Re: Still no start (part 1)

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Still no start (part 1)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0400
At 12:01 AM 10/18/2007 -0500, Greg Schroeder wrote:

>Thanks to Rick at HT Coatings for the clarification on the two red wires to
>the voltage regulator from the harness.  I have repaired that and still could
>not start the car so I went through a progression of changing something and
>then trying to start the car.  I changed out the coil, rotor cap, distributor
>and still no starting.
>
>I tested all the fuses and verfied they were OK.  All electical appears to be
>fine.
>
>Any other suggestions?

Greg,

Let's go back to basics.  I will make an assumption here, but you already
said it, that the engine is turning over when you try to start it.

It would be a big help if you have a helper.  Someone to try and start the
car while you're doing the under the hood work.

It takes 3 things to make an engine run:

1. Fuel:

You can check the fuel simply.  Start be removing the air filter.  Since it's
a carburated engine, if you work the linkage on the carb., while looking down
the carb.,  you should see a small stream of gas from the accelerator pump.

If not you have a fuel delivery problem, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter,
out of fuel, bad accelerator pump.

To verify it's a fuel problem, squirt some starting fluid into the carb.
and try to start the engine.  If it starts and runs for a few seconds and
dies, then it definately a fuel problem.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229