Spridget & Spitfire.

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Spridget & Spitfire.
From: "You Know Who" <mit-eddie!CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu!GGN100%PSUVM.BITNET@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 15:24 EST
     In dealing with the suspension aspects of the car, The question isn't
how much you want to spend, but what will the sanctioning body let you do.
SCCA Rules (I don't actually understand them myself, so don't ask me about
em.) seem to allow the spridget suspension to be more refined than the
spitfire. One of the reasons my uncle retired from racing was because he
developed a suspension that would make the Spitfire more competitive.
Unfortunately, The Competition board disagreed with his interpitation of
the rules. The modified suspension gave approx. 1sec lower lap times at
Summit Point, WVa. (the only place I remember comparing the suspensions)

     As far as engines go, the only major difference between the 2 engines
that I have heard of is the weaker bottom end in the Spitfire (note: this
applies to the 1500 Midget/Spitfire engine). I don't have the book with me,
but I think that the HP ratings in the PAECO manual for the 2 engines over
the range of preperation were quite close. (I gotta dig that one out!).
     BTW, I am not at liberty to discuss the Spitfire suspension design
mentioned above (even if I were, I wouldn't being a Midget driver). I will
point out however, that Seven Enterprises did have Spridget competition
suspensions in one of their flyers!
-------

| GGN100@PSUVM.BITNET  +                //     || |      \  \  ------   |
|PENN STATE UNIVERSITY +        ( /--\  |       |       /--\  B| ----   |
|  MCKEESPORT CAMPUS   +        d| () | |_______|      | () | /  -----  |
 -- So tell me, how many times have Hondas won the Monte Carlo Rally? --
                   --- LONG LIVE THE MINI! ---