WIRE WHEELS: true or replace?

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: WIRE WHEELS: true or replace?
From: uunet!bally.Bally.COM!pete@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Pete Gregory)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 18:20:28 PST
Hi, y'all netlanders....

I have a '72 MGB with original wire wheels.  I've got a few questions for
the wise wire wheel sages out there....

1. there's a *little* rust on the outside (the surface in contact with
   the inner tube) in the little indentations where the spokes connect.
   I want to clean this rust off (obviously!), and probably will use
   Naval Jelly (the pink jello stuff, you know...).  Any problems?

2. A couple of the wheels have some little bends on the edge of the rim,
   possibly where the previous owner kissed some curbs.  Can I hammer these
   out, or could the entire wheel be out of round?

   What does it cost to have a wire wheel trued?  Where would I get it
   done?  Is it worth the expense, or ???

3. Someone told me about some wide rubber band things I should put around
   the wheel to cover the dimples where the spokes connect.  I presume this
   is to prevent inner tube chafing.  I have lots of MGB catalogs (Moss, etc.)
   but no one shows these things.  Am I dreaming?

Any and all advice appreciated.  Thanks a lot......

Pete Gregory          | uucp:   uunet!bally!pete            ________
Software Engineer     | domain: pete@bally.bally.com       /     _  \
Bally Systems, Inc.   | phone:  702-323-6156 x882         /   /||  \ \
255 Bell St.          | FAX:    702-323-5997             | |\/ ||  _  |
Reno, NV 89503        |                                  | |   ||   | |
                  __                                      \    ||__/ /

                               |\
"The parts falling off this car are of the highest British quality..."