Re: BLH history requests

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: BLH history requests
From: linus!xait!pyrthoth.pyramid.com!robbp@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Rob Pryor)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 89 10:05:52 PST
>Also, has anyone ordered a production record trace on their car from
>British Motor Heritage?  There is a small blurb in a recent Moss Motors
>newsletter that says "send 20 dollars".  Does anyone know if they want
>cash/check/pounds?

I did this several years ago with all the cars I had at the time.  You
can send US dollars with no problem.  I sent them a check.  I've also
had them return a check because they upped their price and I wasn't aware
of it.

The info you get back was certainly worth the $5/car I sent the first time.
It confirmed something I strongly suspected about one of the cars I
acquired; namely that the registration had been falsified.  If you are into
originality or concours d'elegance, you will want the color info it
provides.  The info provided includes:

    body/chassis number
    engine number
    exterior color
    interior color/material
    production dates
    to whom delivered (usually the import distributor)
    options - wire wheels, overdrive, tonneau cover, heater, etc.

The only drawback is that they may not have any info on your car, in which
case you just get your money back.  But if they don't, they're probably
looking for it.  When I first heard about the service, they had records
for all Austin-Healeys except for a couple years of the Longbridge plant
during 100/6 production.  This was the case for a long time, recently
they found the records.  Your mileage may vary.

At $20, I'm thinking about but not acting on it for a car.
--