Whither Satch Carlson

To: alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Whither Satch Carlson
From: mit-eddie!gatech!iuvax!mtqub!jeb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (James Beckman +1 201 957 3896)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 08:11:14 -0500

As an AUTOWEEK subscriber and long-time Satch Carlson fan,
I've been wondering what happened to his regular column over
the last few weeks.  The situation is sadly explained in the
QUICK TAKES section of the Dec. 4 issue, in the paragraph
quoted below:

"Gordeon C. "Satch" Carlson, 44, has been indicted by an Anchorage
grand jury on two counts of sexual abuse of a minor in the first
degree and one count in the second degree.  Carlson, a former
Anchorage high school teacher, is charged with having sexual
relations with a student under 18 years old entrusted to him by
law, according to Dwayne W. McConnell, a state district attorney.
AutoWeek columnist Carlson remains on sabbatical."

Now let's point out that he has been accused, not convicted.  But
if this turns out to be true, we have probably read the last of
Satch's stuff.  As long as AUTOWEEK keeps publishing McCluggage's
writing, it'll be worth the price.  But if they lose Denise
they may lose me too.

Say it ain't so, Satch, say it ain't so!

Jim Beckman   AT&T Bell Labs, Middletown, NJ