MGB Wire Wheels

To: harvard!linus!alliant!british-cars%uunet.UU.NET@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: MGB Wire Wheels
From: David Ambrose <linus!harvard!uunet.UU.NET!amdahl!drivax!dambrose%ursa-major.SPDCC.COM@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 17:51:37 PST
>3. Someone told me about some wide rubber band things I should put around
>   the wheel to cover the dimples where the spokes connect.  I presume this
>   is to prevent inner tube chafing.  I have lots of MGB catalogs (Moss, etc.)
>   but no one shows these things.  Am I dreaming?
>
>Any and all advice appreciated.  Thanks a lot......

        The rubber bands (or equivalent) are required.  The tires go
flat in a hurry if it isn't there.  Actually,  MG's being the
treacherous things they are,  they wait until you are dressed up and
enroute to a date.  Then they go flat.

        You can use the thick PCV plumber's tape in place of the rubber
bands.  3 wraps or so will do the job.  Duct tape is a loser.  Don't use
it.

        I'll secong the vote for British wire wheels.  They charge $49
to rebuild an MGB wire wheel.  This includes cleaning,  painting and
trueing.  They also sell tires for a pretty reasonable price.  My wheels
are being cycled through there now.  <wobble, wobble>

        I've also been told by my mechanic (who bails me out when I
screw up) that wires will go wobbly just sitting on a care.  Anyone care
to comment?

        Happy motoring,
        Dave Ambrose

Play it cool;  play it cool;  fifty-fifty fire and ice -- Joni Mitchell
David L. Ambrose, --  Digital Research, Inc          ...!amdahl!drivax!dambrose