Demon Tweeks

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Demon Tweeks
From: mit-eddie!uunet.UU.NET!bcstec!tahoma!gsds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (K.C.Babb)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 89 14:55:39 PST

Yes!  They do exist in merry olde England, and are a pretty good source of
things like Compomotive wheels at English prices (which tend to be some-
what better than American prices, even with the Pound at $1.60).  They
have lots of aftermarket goodies, particularly suspension stuff but
also induction, ignition, etc.  I can rattle off their phone number from
memory (we called them a lot when some wheels were overdue a couple of
years ago)--it's (011-44)(829)70625.  They take Visa and some other cards
I didn't recognize, and have a mail order department which is actually
pretty good.  The problem with the wheels was due to Compomotive--also
an English company--not bothering to tell D.T. or us that the centers
we had requested were out of stock in the color we wanted and it would
be months before they had more.  We eventually settled on a different
color which they had on the shelf.  3-piece, 13x6, 7.5 lb wheels for
about $125 each--not bad at all, even if we did have to assemble them
ourselves when they got here (all parts were supplied).  You do need to
ask them to "air mail" stuff if it's small enough.  If it's not, they
will send it air freight and you'll get to go to the airport and clear
it through Customs to pick it up (an adventure the first time, but no
real problem if you deal out lots of yessirs to the Customs people
and come prepared to pay the small duty fee).

I don't have a current catalog, but they are aware of the U.S. market
and would probably send you one if you called and asked.  They may
remember us--tell 'em that Mrs. Ronald Babb sent you :-)

In general, if you have a credit card and time to wait, England is a
good source of stuff.  I think for obvious reasons that more of our
types of cars are alive over there, hence they have more vendors
supporting them.  I've never tried to send them real money ("pounds
sterling" certificates or some such), but that might work too.

That's all, folks.

Karen