rear axle clunking

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: rear axle clunking
From: mit-eddie!cgl.ucsf.EDU!gregoret@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 89 11:18:20 PST
This weekend after a nice drive to the beach, our '66 MGB developed
a rear axle clunk. :( The clunking happens when changing gears on fast
acceleration and when breaking (and sometimes when turning corners.)

So I was wondering,
1) what is the most common cause of this sort of clunking?
  I suppose it could be a loose wheel, since we did take the
  right rear wheel off that day to clean and grease the
  splines.  We haven't checked out this possiblilty yet, but
  because it started clunking after driving about 60 miles, it
  doesn't seem too likely, although the sound _is_ more audible on
  the passenger's side of the car.
2) is it something we can fix ourselves?  We don't have much in the
way of tools -- a couple of jacks, a socket set, and a parking space
(no garage :( )
3) if we can't fix it ourselves, how much might it cost to have it fixed?
4) how bad is it to drive on anyway?  (will the rear axle just fall off
one day? )

Hoping for a positive prognosis,
Lydia Gregoret

gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu