wheels for Midget

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: wheels for Midget
From: linus!xait!rutgers!pwcs.stpaul.gov!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 89 8:40:13 CDT
Gerry-        What year is your Midget?  I assume it is not the
early-70s model with the round rear wheelwells.  It's easy to get
tires under them.  As far as tire clearances go, the fronts are easy,
lots of room.  I had 185-70-13 Yokohamas on the front with no problem,
and I think Yokos run a little big.  These tires are too wide for the
early 70s 4-1/2" rims I am using now, but I got them free from a buddy
of mine who autocrosses a Mazda.  They are shot now anyway and I am
going to try for a set of 175-70-13 Yokos next spring.  Even 175 is
pushing it a little on this rim, but I know of no super-performance
tire
in a smaller size.  I believe that 4-1/2 wheels are as wide as cars
were ever delivered in the USA.  If anyone can provide documentation
of any wider  steel, cast or wire wheel as a factory-authorized,
dealer will deliver on car, listed in the factory price list option
for USA cars, CONTACT ME RIGHT AWAY. But back to Gerry and the tire
clearance:  Even the cars with the square arches are not all the same.
 If I grasp the top of the arch on my '66, I can feel that the innner
and outer panels are quite far apart, maybe a thickness of an inch or
more.  The circa 1970 square-arch car I swapped hubs with (to go to
4-bolt disc wheels) shows a much smaller thickness here, the inner
and outer panels almost touch.  The first problem in the rear is to
make sure the tire clears the leaf spring.  I have yet to try it, but
I believe that if I can just clear the leaf on the inside, that a 185
will just fit without trouble.  If there is a problem, the inside
panel can be modified with a 40-oz fine adjustment tool without
altering the outside lip.  Unless you are autocrossing, I'm not sure
why you need larger tires than 165.  Perhaps on the M1, Gerry?  I can
see why you might want a little more relaxed RPM on the motorway at
speed.  Please keep us stateside types up to date on Spridgebits, etc
in the UK.
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324