Rebuilding

To: plains!alliant.alliant.com!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Rebuilding
From: Timothy Lyle Smith <uunet!plains!tsmith@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 90 16:40:23 -0600
     Yes, I understand the problem of starting to fix one part
     and going on to another.  4000 miles ago I did the first
     almost complete take down of the engine.  Since it was my
     first time in an engine I was so scared of having to retime
     the engine that I didn't touch anything that was connected
     to the timing except the timing chain cover.  But I did
     have the head gone over, replaced scads of gaskets, found
     my oil pump to be basicaly good as new, replaced the rings,
     honed the cylinders, and went from losing a quart every 100
     to not losing any between oil changes.  Of course I determined
     that rather than tearing the engine apart I could have fixed
     the problem by putting a new oil seal in the timing chain cover.
     But then where would the learning experiance have come from?
     Since I now have to replace the mains this might point out that
     there are some things you should do in groups.

       Tim