GM, the next MG?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM (SOL mail list)
Subject: GM, the next MG?
From: T.J. Higgins <mit-eddie!uunet.UU.NET!alpine!tj@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 90 11:38:51 CST
The latest (Feb '90) issue of Motor Trend discusses 3 new ragtops from
GM (specifically Chevy and Geo).  The latest refinements to the Cavalier
Z24 convertible were given, and the new Beretta convertible was shown.
The Beretta is to come standard with the FE3 Sport Supension package.
Both of these are OK, but I was expecially taken by the Geo Metro Lsi
convertible.  This thing looks to me like a Mini would look with it's
roof cut off.  Extremely unusual and cute as a button.  The price should
come in well under $10,000 (US).

This got me to thinking.  The Mazda Miata was supposed to be the poor
man's roadster, but everyone knows what the limited supply and
tremendous demand have done to prices.  It looks as though GM is filling
the gap with affordable ragtops.  Now I know that GM isn't targeting the
same market as Mazda (all the above GM cars are considered 4-seaters),
but think about what the British did in the 60's and 70's.  Low-priced
fun cars accessible to just about everyone.

Note that I am deliberately ignoring affordable sports cars like the
Nissan 240SX and Toyota MR2.  Hardtops need not apply!
T.J. Higgins                    uunet!ingr!higgins (UUCP)
Intergraph Corp.  M/S CR041     higgins@ingr.com   (Internet)
One Madison Industrial Park
Huntsville, AL  35894-0001      "Well-weathered leather, hot metal
(205) 730-6191                   and oil, the scent of country air"
                                                        -Rush