Re: Smith speedos and TR250's

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Smith speedos and TR250's
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 8:16:05 CDT

> Can someone out there with a TR250 give me an idea of what a TR250
> does for mph/1000RPM in top? I can't figure out what my speedo's
> trying to tell me.
> Also, a common failure mode for Smiths speedometers seems to be the
> needle jumping around where it's supposed to be. Anybody have any idea
> what causes this? It's happened to both of mine, I took one apart and
> I couldn't immediately see what would cause this.

Tell me your gear ratios (is top gear 1:1?  what is the rear axle
ratio?)  and I'll tell you your mph/1000rpm.   phile@pwcs.stpayl.gov
(612) 224-3105  or (612) 298-5324  oops, almost forgot, I need your
tire size, too.  Tell me both the size tire that came on the car and
what you have now.  The relationship you are probably looking for
would hold with the tires the speedo was set for.  BTW, the speedo on
on my '66 Midget is a Smiths, and it jumps around too.  I sure don't
care enough to fix it.  My tach is wildly optimistic, but smooth.  I
checked its accuracy by stopwatching highway mile markers at a given
RPM.  Looks impressive to see over 7000rpm on a stock 1275 :-)    I
thought maybe I had deeper gears than stock, so I jacked a wheel and
ccounted revs on the U-joint flange.  Figures out to 4.22:1 just like
it's supposed to.
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324