engine swaps

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: engine swaps
From: "You Know Who" <mit-eddie!PSUVM.PSU.EDU!GGN100@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 09:51 EST
     It has been really interesting to see all this discussion about swapping
engines in british cars. I think, however, if you are gonna do it, do it in a
big way! At the CART race in Cleveland, among the various car company displays
was the buick motorsports display. They had various engines displayed and it
looks like it would be pretty easy to shoehorn one of those 1000hp turbo v-6
motors out of an IMSA prototype into the engine bay of my B-GT.
     For that matter, any Indy engine could pretty much fit into the same bay
that they dropped that rover engine into. In order to keep the car British,
mabye it would be better to put a Cosworth under the hood. Of course the
horsepower increase might just require a beefer gearbox and rear end. What
does happen to older Cosworths whenever everyone switches to a newer design?
I know that all those CART teams carry a bunch of engines around with them,
so there has to be a large supply of old ones out there.
     Another swap which I CAN'T understand, but always see in old car ads are
Offy-Midgets! Even if you could squeeze that engine into a space which is too
small for the Triumph 1500 engine, I would imagine that the car would handle
worse than even the MGC! Of course, those cars are usually listed as being
built pre-WWII so they are probably M-types, yeah. I'd still think it would
be easier to use, say, a Flathead Ford like they ran from time to time in
"2 jr"
     Well, that's enough silliness for today. Take care and be thankful that
Lucas isn't in the data communications business!!!
-------

          __----__              Jaguar   | Gregory Nagy         |    "Eat     |
      ___/       ==__===__ {]]  24hrs of | Penn State University|     my      |
    //--\----------  61 |       Datyona  | Mckeesport Campus    |   Shorts!"  |
 <-- \__/------------__--|   '90 Champs! | GGN100@psuvm.bitnet  |-Bart Simpson|