more '77 MGB questions

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: more '77 MGB questions
From: mit-eddie!potassium.cchem.berkeley.edu!wilson@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Michael A. Wilson)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 20:46:37 PST
Hi all ---

More on the '77 MGB.  Well, one problem is definately the choke.
Pulling the choke assembly and turning off the choke, and I got
the car running ok.  Still too rich: lots of carbon on 1, 3, and 4.
And 2 is wet.  Hmmm.  Must not be firing. (Please O great Lucas,
don't let it be oil...)  Ok, lets get a new set of wires
(already switched the plugs around, so its #2 and not the plug).
Check the rotor and cap. Let's see, '77 MGB, should
be a 45DE4 distributor (electronic triggering).  Pop the top and...
uh, what are those points and that condenser doing on my new '77 MGB?
Looks like Mr. 45DE4 has been switched for a 45D4.  Is this legal?...
in California?...

And I want to check out a rumor.  I was told that late model B's,
with the catalytic converter located conveniently below the
carburetor, are prone to engine fires.  The theory is that the
heat shield goes, the rubber parts dry out and crack in the
added heat, so maybe some gas drips down onto the CC, and presto ---
engine fire!  Any experiences or comments (uh yeah, make sure the
heat shield is in good shape...)?

MG's forever----

Mike Wilson