Re: spindles etc.

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: Re: spindles etc.
From: leger@Alliant.COM (Bob Leger)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 14:45:27 EST
Jim Muller writes:

    On Spitfires and GT-6's, you are supposed to lube them with 90-weight
    oil in the grease fitting (which leads to the trunnion threads), but
    other TR's call for grease, I think (mjb, comment?).

The factory recommended oil for the TR-250 and TR-6 trunnions as well.
When I rebuilt the front suspension of my TR-250 last summer, I found
grease in the trunnions, but filled them with 90-weight gear oil when
I reassembled everything.  I'm going to have to buy an extra grease gun
and charge it with oil for the purpose of oiling the trunnions.

On the subject of how far to thread the vertical link into the trunnion,
I found nothing in the Bentley manual to guide me.  I stopped when the seal
was snug but not too tight.  On my car, the trunnion hits something else,
the brake backsplash I think, before the vertical link bottoms in the
trunnion.  The right side had been assembled a thread too far and I had
to remove the caliper, rotor and backsplash in order to remove the trunnion.

Bob Leger