Re: British Cars going Metric?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: British Cars going Metric?
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 90 8:14:40 CDT

> Larry Gillam writes:
>         I was visiting my local parts house for some stuff for my
>         '72 TR6 and was again explaining....No, my English car does
>         NOT have any metric fastners. This has happened several
>         times and I'd like to clear this up with some facts concerning
>         SAE vs. METRIC as it relates to the British automotive industry.
>

>         Any comments?
> >>end citation<<
>
> Next time, just go on in there and keep muttering 'Whitworth' over and over
> again.  This will at least cause them to remember that your car isn't metric.
>
> But seriouly, it isn't really SAE either, is it?  Anybody have a short
>disourse
> about fasteners?
>
> I know someone must.  After all, this is a *British* car group, and the
>Britissh
>
> about esoterica.
>
> ed (sorry for the garbled text.  bloody Macintosh)

OK, I think I got it:  SAE are fine threads the same as NF (National
Fine in USA) and UF (Unified Fine in UK).  Coarse threads are NC in
USA and UC in the United Kingdom.  I believe UF and SAE and NF are
interchangable and that UC and NC are interchangable.  Whitworth is
not related to any of the above.  The good news is that I don't think
I have seen much Whitworth.  In my previous incarnation as a SAAB
two-stroke and V4 freak, I was exposed to a lot of metric and inch
threads on the same car.
Example of inch standards:  1/4 NC = 1/4 UC = 1/4-20
                            1/4 NF = 1/4 UF = 1/4-24 = 1/4 SAE
I don't have my copy of Machinery's Handbook (the machinist's bible)
here, so if I have erred, let me know.
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324