HP vs. Torque...

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: HP vs. Torque...
From: mit-eddie!hp6600.desk.hp.com!larry_schwarcz%q0@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 7 Mar 90 10:26 -0800
Well, when I first starting trying to find an answer to my question,
I thought that it was a dumb question, but, since none of my souces
knew the answer, I guess that it's not so bad.

Anyway, the question is:  How do Horse Power and Torque differ?
I've read the textbook definiations of HP and Torque, but, what I
want to know is, how do they effect driving?  If someone increases
the torque by 5%, what does that mean to me behind the wheel?
What if HP was increased by 5%?

I guess the question boils down to:  What does an increase/decrease
in HP or Torque do to the 'seat-of-the-pants' feel of driving?  How
will it effect the off-the-line speed, passing speed, etc?

Are there any good books that explain this kind of information?

Also, as for what tools to buy, I buy Craftsmen tools exclusivly.
They're not as good as Snap-On, but, they cost a fraction of the
cost of Snap-On, and are far easier to exchange on the weekends
(when I do most of my car work).  I could understand a professional
mechanic buying them, but, I don't use my tools all day, every day.

I have noticed, though, that the chrome plating on Craftsmen seems to
be pretty poor lately.  It seems to peel off pretty easily on the newer
tools.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth.

           Thanks...
               Larry Schwarcz