Alignment method

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Alignment method
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 90 9:34:25 CDT

> As mentioned a very good book to buy if you want to know about front
> end alignment is "How to make Your Car Handle". They devote a whole
> chapter to talk about caster, camber and toe etc, with several tables
> showing the variious settings for many makes/models.
>
> I used their technique for setting the caster/camber and toe on my
> Scimitar about a year ago and after finishing, I was amazed at the
> differenece on the feel of the car when everything was set up
> correctly. It tracked straight, it did not suffer from bump steer and
> it self centered much better. Just to convince myself that I had done
> everything correctly, I took the car to NTW for them to check the
> settings on their computera-alignment apparatus. After the guy set the
> machine up, he found that all the setting were spot on according to the
> figures in the manual.
>
> The intersesting thing is that all I used was axle stands, a plumbers
> level, some string and a straight bar with a piece of plywood attached.
>
> This book also covers other very interesting aspects of how and why
> cars  negotiate corners (or not as the case may be !!!!:))
>
> Gerry

Is this the same process shown last fall in Auto-X magazine with a
Lotus Europa?  BTW, no amount of alignment would   take the bump
(roll) steer out of my Spridget.  Only putting in very flat-arch rear
springs would help.        phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324