Protecting a TR7 plastic dash

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Protecting a TR7 plastic dash
From: apollo!rimbold@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 90 11:27:19 EST
> The TR7/8 dash is completely plastic.  How well does plastic age?
> What happens to it when it gets old?  Is there any way I can protect
> the dash (other than keeping it clean)?

Keeping it clean is the best way I've found. The plastic is really
thick and I've never seen a cracked or discolored one - not in a
junkyard, not anywhere. My '76 TR7 Coupe has seen *hot* (and *cold*)
days and still has no problems.

> The Armor All spray bottles say it's safe to use on plastic but
> I've also heard NOT to use Armor All on plastic(!)  Who do I believe?
Not them :-)

> Has anyone tried Armor All on plastic??  Other ideas?  Thanks :-)

I did use Armor All on that car when I first got it (not knowing any
better :-). The Armor All will not be absorbed by the plastic, and will
not readily evaporate. This leaves you with a slimy coating over everything.
It won't be gone until your clothes have absorbed it all :-)

'Rob