5-speed conversion advice

To: <british-cars@Alliant.COM>
Subject: 5-speed conversion advice
From: Rod Barman <mit-eddie!ee.ubc.ca!rodb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: 14 Mar 90 13:45 -0800
I am the owner of a P6 Rover 3500S that has the fabled aluminum V8.
The 'S' in 3500S in England meant standard 4-speed transmission, in
Canada it meant that this is an export model with power windows, air
scoops  and some other stuff.  I would like to change my Rover from an
Borg-Warner 35 automatic to the 5-speed transmission found in the tr-8,
the SDI (3500) and the tr-7.  I believe that only the tr-8 and SDI have
the correct bell housing, flywheel, pressure plate, etc.  I have a
local source here that wants about $1600 for a flywheel, clutch parts,
and an as is transmission.  A rebuild on the transmission is at least
an extra $300.  Is $1600 a fair price?  What is the 'going rate' for
this transmission and how plentiful are they?   Are there any other
British cars that also had this combination?

Any and all advice/suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod Barman, Dept. of E.E., University of British Columbia
rodb@ee.ubc.ca