Re: Your car's value is increasing

To: british-cars%alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Re: Your car's value is increasing
From: mit-eddie!RELAY.CS.NET!chrisp%mrloog.wr.tek.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 15 Mar 90 17:07:04 PST (Thu)
>-------------------------------------------------------  3 years ago
>you could get a Lamborghini Miura for $30,000 or you could have bought
>an Aston DB6 for $15,000.

I remember several guys owning the Miura and not being able to get $15,000
for their cars in 1981.  And they were "perfect".  They said, what scared
people away was the fact that NO parts were available for them.  And, it
is widely known that R&T's test (glowing test, too!) of the DB6 was
"doctored" in that they really felt this car was a chump!  But later, the
editorial staff came out and said they couldn't say that back then.  Wow,
now people are paying huge bucks for these.  What I'd like to know, is who
is going to take the loss if/when the market collapses?

>The interesting thing is that the cars that aren't in the lime light have
>actually come down quite a bit.  Cars from the '30s and '40s are one example,
>Rolls Royces are another.

Ford Model As and Ts have been doing the same.  I know a gent that can't give
his perfectly restored Model T Speedster away for $4000!!!  AND, these are
really fun cars.  Look at the MG T*s.  They really haven't gone up with
the rest of the market.  Unless one is looking at this from the points of
view of either traded investment paper (and not much money), or a huge
feeding frenzy, it just doesn't "figure".