Re: MGA vs. BGT

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: MGA vs. BGT
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 07:58:45 EST
Mark L. Writes:
        Notable exceptions are
        heavy drive train parts for 1600 Mk-IIs.  If anyone has a genuine
        Mk-II cylinder head, or better yet an entire engine, that they want to
        sell, give me a call :-).

If anyone is aware of a transmission for a Twin-Cam (or 1600? -the
starter mounts lower than on the standard trans, I think) , give me
a call- My friend who races a Twin-Cam would really like to have a
spare on hand for those days when things don't go quite right. (He's doing
an almost complete engine rebuild this year. Didn't pop for oversize pistons
tho- they have to be aquired custom made :-(  ) He's also interested in
a Studebaker Limited-slip rear end. It's supposed to be a fairly easy
conversion.

        It [a GT] is a much better (and safer) racing car than the
        A (excepting the Twin-Cam, although the GT would be far more likely
        than a Twin-Cam to start on race day :-).

Actually, they would both be likely to start, but the B would be more likely
to *finish*. The Twin-Cams problems lie in areas such as bearing loading,
and other "under stress" type failures. And there's only one kind of
tire available which meets SCCA and SVRA regulations- what a pain!

PS- while we're talking parts- Anyone got a line on a stock, steel wheel
for later MGB's? (68-80) The spare in Tilly's GT is cracked on the edge
of the rim.
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!