More on Prices (long winded)

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: More on Prices (long winded)
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 90 09:28:14 EST
Here's another opinion on what affects the prices of out beloved LBC's :

A couple of factors regarding value haven't been mentioned here. One is
FAME. Another is original price level compared to their peers. Both
the model in general, and specific examples can achive various
levels of notority, which can affect things greatly. Many cars were very
desiriable when new, with limited availibilty. This popularity keeps prices
up, and makes them go higher. (in recent years- the Datsun Z-cars were always
hard to get, and prices are still higher than the very nice 2000's, which
were never a hit and the even less desired 1600's) The Miata is doing the
same as the 240Z did.
        Original pricing and availability is an important factor. Model T's
were always cheap & plentiful, they still are. It's pretty hard to up the
price when the buyer has so much to select from, unless it's a very special
car. Volkswagon Bugs, MGB's, Midgets, TR6's, and Spitfires are all abundant.
Jags, Ferraries, and Pierce Arrows aren't. It's a very rare car [:-)] that
was cheap new, and now has a very high price. Cars that were more expensive
when new still are. The trick is to find one in good shape during the
time they're just a "used car", before they become collectable. Even some
"expensive" examples aren't worth much in poor condition, due to extreme
cost or non-existance of parts. Custom and Coach built will always be more
desireable than mass production examples.
        Cars which apperared in movies got a boost- "I want one of those
things from American Graphiti", etc.  Cobras got a boost, not only because
of scarcity & power, but because James Dean died in one! Tigers can perform
almost as well, but have about 10% the value. (Get Smart wasn't a value
adder I guess. :-) ) Aston-Martins got a boost from James Bond. (But they
started out more expensive, too) Can anybody name a commonly known MGB
or TR6?
        MG's and TR's were ALWAYS affordable, and still are. :-) Modern models
have few claims to fame. Parts are very available, and cheap. This is good.
It means that they will continue to be an affordable, reliable ride for
some time to come. (one exception- even though MG's set some bodacious
records in the old days, even those models were and are affordable)
        Now the new mystery factor- The World Market. As more people in
developing or recovering countries have money to spend, they begin to pick
up on various collectables. They may be indescriminate at first, buying
anything they can, then developing more specific tastes. The Japanese
are buying older American cars- good money for just about anything. But
they are also paying top dollar for good examples of Older Datsun's, Toyota's
Honda's, etc. The English, who had finiancial woes for many years, have
recovered, and are willing to buy back their own as well. The cost of new cars
in the UK a real good reason for buying an old one. The car market in Asia,
and parts of Europe is just getting started. We happen to be the best source
of old cars, and they will go away. This will result in higher prices, but
will follow a lot of the same rules as above.
        As S.F. sez- "By the time you can afford it, you can't afford it."
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!