colortune,TR8 exhaust stuff...

To: british-cars%alliant.com@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: colortune,TR8 exhaust stuff...
From: mit-eddie!emx.utexas.edu!jatc@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (James TenCate)
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 90 14:41:58 -0500
Since the volume of mail seems to have jumped dramatically with the advent
of spring :-), I'll try to keep this short.

Gene Johnston asked about Colortune (Colourtune).  I've used it with
GREAT success on my TR7 (dual 175's).  The front carb turned out
to be quite rich even though I hadn't really noticed it.  After tuning,
my gas mileage went from about 27 mpg to 31 mpg (highway).  Car ran
better too.  Best to use it in a dark garage or at night though.  I found
it kind of hard to see in daylight.  Colortune does not really help you
out much if you've got vacuum leaks though...get that stuff fixed first.

Tim Buja wrote me back about TR8 starter/no catalytic heat shield
problems I've been having.  My catalytic converter/intermediate
pipe is ALL one piece on my car.  Two questions:

(1)  Does anyone have ideas on what to make a catalytic heat shield
     out of?  Coffee cans and asbestos are hard to come by these days...
     Should I mount the heat shield on the starter or converter?
     (I've already asked TRF about getting a replacement heat shield
     and they're looking into it...)
(2)  How about replacing the whole exhaust system with a nice couple
     of headers and stainless exhaust?  Does anyone know who might
     have this sort of thing for a TR8 with fuel injection (and
     oxygen sensors)?

Jim