The REAL story of the TR4A.

To: sol%hoosier@cs
Subject: The REAL story of the TR4A.
From: mit-eddie!cs.utah.edu!mjb%hoosier@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 90 14:49:33 -0600
You know, one problem with an April Fool story like that is what do I do
next year?  At any rate, I really did go to an autocross sunday at the
State Fairgrounds, and the freeway really is closed for repairs.  So there
was SOME truth in it!

mjb.
-----

Midweek

  Lal decides to blow off Durango, muttering about a "thesis" or some such
  nonsense.  I try to decide if I should go alone or stay home and get my
  car back on the street, after weeks of resting on jackstands in the garage.

Thursday

  I decide to take the course of staying home and working on the white car.
  Last week when starting to reassemble the rear axle I found that all the
  seals I had were for TR4A-6 IRS cars.  Monday I stopped in at Parts Master
  and had them order a seal for a "4A solid axle car".  So I figure a few hours
  work this weekend...

Friday, am

  Having taken the day off, I am getting busy.  I buy magnetic, some paint,
  pick up the oil seal.  Into the garage early, after only an hour of helping
  the neighbor with the fence.

Friday afternoon

  The car is coming along nicely, the oil cooler is on, the sump back together,
  clutch slave and so on.  I fill the crankcase with oil, disconnect the coil
  and turn the engine over a bit.  Oil pressure finally comes up, no leaks yet.

Friday evening

  The new seal doesn't fit.  It is exactly the same size as the ones I already
  have.  [Insert favorite curses here]  The delrin bushings do NOT want to go
  into the rear shackle for the spring.  We STILL couldn't get that 195 General
  to stretch onto the 8.5" rims.  3 of them worked fine, the last one refuses.
  I should have gone to Durango.

Friday night

  Sipping a Klisterbrau, stack of catalogs, etc. close to hand.  Yep, the 4A
  solid axle has the same pinion seal listed as the IRS cars.  The 3 and 4 do
  have a different part.  If only I would have saved the old one.

Saturday am

  On a long shot, I stop by Morgan's Sportscar Service on the way back from
  the shed.  The trip to the shed was helpful, at least I did find an old 4
  pinion oil seal.  Morgan's is closed, but just a few doors down is Utah
  Bearing - THEY have seals, and open 'till noon on saturday!  In the door
  with old seal in hand.  Shortly thereafter, out the door with old seal
  in hand.  New seal in other hand.  It was funny how the counter guy said
  he'd never seen such a small seal cost so much...

Saturday early afternoon

  Down at Pro Tire, I get some race gas.  Tire STILL can not be convinced
  it fits on a 8.5" rim.  Wish I could afford the new Hoosiers NOW!  After
  about an hour and a half of working on it, Rick finally gets the bead to
  pop up!  I let go of the air fitting on the valve stem.  The bead pops
  off.  We put in a tube.

Saturday late afternoon

  I back the white car[*] down the drive to give it a bath.  I feel good.
  I feel VERY good.  Dirty, tired, hungry, but good.  Luckily none of the
  neighbors complain about the open exhaust manifold.  A bit of soapy water
  and a cool brew later, the car has never looked so good.  Back into the
  garage for a bit more work before the party.

Saturday night

  10:30 pm, the party is winding down.  Karen says it is okay if I go back to
  the shed for the 95th time in the last two days to look for the 4A exhaust
  flange gasket I *KNOW* I have.  Somewhere.

Sunday, 1:20 am

  Setting the alarm for 6:30 am, Karen reminds me to set the time ahead.  So
  much for getting some decent sleep.

Sunday, 9:00 am

  I am waiting while the clerk at Checker counts the change in his till

Sunday, 9:15 am

  I am waiting while the clerk's boss at Checker counts the change in the
  till once again.  I may have to write a letter to the parent company.
  With exhaust parts in hand, back to the house for more coffee and a bit
  of work.

Sunday, 10:30 am.

  The car makes it all the way to the site. I am happy.  I finish third, Rick
  takes second in the thing.  The Sunbeam takes first and fourth.  Boy, if
  the seat hadn't kept slipping back, if the shift knob hadn't come off in
  Rick's hand, if the dashpot in the rear carb hadn't been bone dry - wait
  until next week!

*:  I have thought of calling the car "John Henry".  You know, after the folk
hero who takes on the modern steam drill, using his trusty old manual methods.
Seems fitting.