Spring start-up

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Spring start-up
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 90 9:12:39 CDT
It runs, It lives, It breathes!  I spent the weekend with the Spridget
torn apart.  Took off the front cover, timing chain and chainwheels,
front mounting plate just to put in a new gasket to solve the major
oil leak.  Last season I lived in fear of someone posting an "Exxon
Valdes" sticker on my car.  Some of the folks didn't smile when I
joked about British Rustproofing.  To do this job, I had to take out
the radiator so I replaced it with a better one I had.  I had to take
off the timing chain, the old one was stretched, of course, so in goes
a new one.  Much better.  To clear the motor mounts, I had to take
out the steering column, so I put in new bushings.  My wheel doesn't
clunk up and down now.  When I got all done, I refilled the oil
(filter change was a lot easier with the generator out, I've just GOT
to get a spin-on conversion one of these days), changed the plugs and
got ready to start it.  Before I hooked up the plugs. I gave it
several good cranks to get the oil moving.  Put warm water in the
cooling system.  Moment of truth, Ignition, starter.  Vroom.  Gack,
there is a LOT of smoke from the oil I put in the cylinders last fall.
Sounds good, though.  Glad to see the clutch isn't frozen.  Drive it
back off the blocks, clean garage floor and spread new oil dry.  Drive
car back forward and leave to warm some more.  Neither oil nor water
seem to leak!  Shut down, drain some water and pop in the glycol.
Start and run for the glycol to mix, it's gonna go into the twenties
tonight (after 60's yesterday!).  I can't wait for the insurance to
start and the rain to stop!  Saturday would have been perfect roadster
weather!   phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324