Lucas Electronic Ignition (originally, various stuff)

To: alliant!alliant.alliant.com!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Lucas Electronic Ignition (originally, various stuff)
From: sgi!ames!amdcad!neptune.AMD.COM!zahid@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Zahid Ahsanullah)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 90 10:11:51 cdt
>From: apple!bevsun.bev.lbl.gov!guy (Aran Guy)
>Subject: Re: various stuff
>
> I've asked before, but never really got an answer: Has anybody had
>any success in repairing their Lucas Lord of Inconsistancy Electronic
>Ignition? You can't replace it with an aftermarket unit in Smog-Plagued
>California, and I would really prefer to fix it. It goes brain dead
>about every twenty minutes of driving, and comes back with a bang
>(As in spitting fire from the tailpipe) a few seconds later.
> I saw a mention of adding a heat sink to the module. Does this cure
>it, or just extend the times between failure?
> Aran (DMV most wanted list) Guy  guy@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov
> (Back to work, the Modcomp from hell just won't stay up.)

Aran, there aint much that you can do about fixing it. My Spitfire
had the same problem and I took the ignition out to replace the
power transistor. I found that the whole amplifier board was sealed
with some sort of yellow epoxy probably heat conducting type and there
was not a thing I could do to get rid of it. The board had half an
inch of epoxy all around it with I think two wires sticking out of it.
Even if you did get it off, you probably wouldn't be able to find the
ancient Mullard OC22 (thats what I made it out to be after chipping
and scraping the glue off the top of the board but there is a slight
possibility I'm wrong) Germaniun power transistor in a TO5 CAN that's
on there. They are hard to match with the new kinds around and last
about three years with a large heat sink. The car engine is hardly
the place for it to hang out at.
Why can't you use an Allison or some other ignition? is it because
the electronic dwell control will not track properly and may
cause pollution? I have had an Allision unit bought for $80 in my
car for about three years. It only broke once when the clutch master
decided to spill brake fluid on it and my shoes. But it was replaced
free of charge due to its lifetime warranty. You might also try
modifying an AMC Pacer ignition for your needs for 50% cheaper but
it's a lot of work.

It's finally vacation time for me and I'll be gone home for a month
starting next Monday. I might have that E-type with me when I get back
if my uncle sells it. Otherwise it'll be fun anyway, keep your finger
crossed.

                                Zahid

ps. Jim, if you want you may remove me from the list temporarily
    but I don't think you'll have any problems from our Sys Admin
    here. I'll be back on May 23rd if dadgum Pakistan and India
    dont' get into another war. Take care.