TR7 Steering Play

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: TR7 Steering Play
From: mit-eddie!EBay.Sun.COM!mutchler@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Dan Mutchler)
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 90 08:36:42 PDT
I just acquired a TR7 this weekend which is in pretty good condition
except one valve is clicking very loudly and there is some play
in the steering. I'm assuming a good valve adjustment will cure
the valve problem but the steering has me baffled...

When I test the steering statically I can find no play at all
in the steering. The smallest movement of the steering wheel cause
both wheels to move and vice versa. Both on and off the ground.
I also drove the car slowly towards my girlfriend (after I thoroughly
tested the brakes) and had her observe the wheels. Still no
play, but the car does not respond to the inputs at all. This
is a problem at all speeds and very noticable at highway speeds.

The tires are Montgomery Ward Road Handlers, 165/85R13, and have
very soft sidewalls. It seems strange, but possible that the
tires are responsible for this lack of responsiveness. Does anyone
else believe this? I'm set to go buy Yokohoma Y352, 185/70HR13, for
the car and get an alignment, but I really hate to take it to the
alignment shop and have them find the problem. I really want to
replace worn parts myself so I know what was done and what was used.

Any advice? Thanks

Dan Mutchler                       | ARPA/Internet:  mutchler@EBay.Sun.COM
Sun Federal System Engineer        | UUCP:           ...!sun!mutchler
Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box.
Religion is the smile on a dog.
                           Edie Brickell