TR exhaust systems

Subject: TR exhaust systems
From: Darrell Walker <mit-eddie!hprpcd.hp.com!walker@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 90 13:36:43 PDT
Though I am not ready for it yet, I have begun to think about replacing
the exhaust system on my 66 TR4A.  The current setup includes a hand-crafted
header, which feeds into a Y pipe, then single pipe to the back that splits to
two glass-pack mufflers.

One option I am looking at is going all stock.  For my car, there were
two possiblities, a small muffler near the exhaust manifold, 2-in and 1-out,
one pipe to the back that splits to two mufflers.  The other setup has
a Y pipe up front, and a single large muffler in back.  My reference
sources seem to give conflicting stories, some say the "early" cars
had the three muffler setup, other sources try to tie it to IRS (which
mine has).

My other option is to buy a "real" header and performance exhaust system.
However, the rest of my engine is stock, and likely to remain so.

All of this leads to the following questions:

        * Would I see any performance gain with a performance system
          if I make no other mods?  If so, can anyone recommend a
          system?

        * Is there any advantage to either of the stock setups?

        * Is a stainless steel system worth the money?  Are the claims
          of "lifetime" system true?

--
   Darrell Walker                 walker@hprpcd.hp.com
   (916) 785-4059                 HPDesk: walker (hprpcd) /HP5200/UX