E-Type Stuff

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: E-Type Stuff
From: Dangerous Dan <mit-eddie!uoft02.utoledo.edu!CSCON115@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 16:55 EST
Hi all out there.

I have a question (again) and a story that you might relate to.

1) The Question: Has anyone out there ever heard of a mag. called
   E-Type Jag.  A friend of mine had s subscription to it years ago
   but hasn't read it in years.  Is it still around?

2) The Story: The breaks on my "E" were really, really bad. So
   I pick up a couple of cans of Castrol break fluid.  I blead,
   played, and fiddeld with the front breaks til they worked.
   Then I started on the back breaks. (EVERY E-Type owner out
   there just growned, I heard it!) For thoes who own MG's,
   and TR's I will explain.  The calipers and roters are about
   4 inches away from the rear differential. Then off of the
   roters is a long bar that extends to the wheels. And there
   are countless supports, sway-bars, mounts,.....  It looks
   like a lot of scaffolding.  To get to the top of the calipers
   you must remove the back seat, and remove two access plates.
   Even with the access plates removed, there is only about
   three square inces of room to work in. Now here I am sitting
   in a very uncomfortable manner in the BACK SEAT trying to
   blead the breaks with my girlfriend.  No luck for me, the fluid
   would not come out of the bleader line. So I just kept on loosining
   until the bleader nut falls off, and out under the car. Next comes
   The rush of break fluid out of the caliper.  I jump out of the
   the car and get the nut so i can plug the hole. Suddenly i notice
   why i had such a problem with the bleaders.  The previous owner
   could not get to the bleader well to tighten it.  So, he filled
   it in with soder!  Off to the store for more castrol and two new
   bleader nuts.  Well now with the new stuff I blead the back
   lines (ripping my knuckels to bloody stumps). So now I go for a
   quick test spin.  That car was begging to overheat! I cooked
   dinner on the intake!  So now I am off to flush the cooling sys,
   replace the thermostat, and pray. (Like my mother use to say:
   Rosanna, if it's not one thing, its another!)

   (any other suggestions/comments on this (excessive heat)
    problem would be kind)

   - Dangerous Dan Wedding

* .... (that cat) streched out a lazy claw and spiked a young onlooker in   *
*  his tracks.  It was too easy.  The great cat yawned and looked away.     *
*  - Car and Driver, (June 1990) : Jaguar's Glorious E-Type                 *
*            Internet address: UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU,  131.183.1.4             *