Re: TR-6 U-joints.

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM, uunet!cbmvax!jesup@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: TR-6 U-joints.
From: mit-eddie!ames.arc.nasa.gov!ssi!coventry!rmb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Keptin Komrade Dr. Bobwrench III)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 90 16:40:37 CDT

->like there was an egg under my foot.  Sometime while I was on the highway the
->joint must have quieted, since when I got back I noticed the noise had
->disappeared.  Bearing probably finished breaking up or siezing. :-(

        Probably all the needles were gone....Or melted, providing the needed
lubrication. ;-]. I've trashed so many u-joints I've lost count. I can change
an outside one in 45 min, an inside one in about 1 hour, and a pair in about
an hour and a half.

        Just a note. If this is the first time you've changed the U-joints,
you're going to need a press to get the old ones out. I do 2 or so a year
and can usually get them with the vise and sockets, but the 1st time, it took
the 20 ton press @ RPI to get the old ones out. Once they are out, clean out
the flanges and grease the bearing homes. It will make taking them out alot
easier next time. Oh, and you should be able to get U-joints from your local
auto parts store, take one in, they can measure it and order the ones made in
the US for US cars which should be much cheaper than the $12.75 that BPNW
wants. I think I pay about $6.00. Make sure you get the ones with the grease
fitting AND USE IT! ( I still trash them somehow....)

        Another note: DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the bolts holding the hub into
the trailing arm!!!!!! The TA is aluminum and the bolts will strip it very
easily. Read the manual and use a torque wench.

->
->In any case, I popped a rear wheel (first time).  Found that there's quite a
->bit of play (turning) before the driveshaft starts to move, so at least one
->of them is dead/dying, probably more.  Also, the boot I could see could use

        I was surprised at the amount of play in the diff. It's probably
nearly 5 degr in a good diff.

->Currently, I'm planning on replacing all 4 ujoints in the rear, both axle
->boots, and bump-stops.  I may decide to put in HD springs, but I may leave
->that for winter (and do the rear bushings and diff mounts then too).
->
        The springs are so easy you might as well do them now. And the
difference in handling is incredible. They are definitly a jack type job. But
if you want coil spring compressors, Harbour Freight has them for $9.00 a set.

        Happy motoring!

                iii