Re: Radiators, Vanity Plates

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM,
Subject: Re: Radiators, Vanity Plates
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <mit-eddie!apple.com!twakeman@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 90 17:56:35 -0700
Darrell,
You might want to shop around the radiator shops for the best price on a new
core for your radiator. You can get one with cooling rods.  It would be clean
& guarrenteed.  If you pick up a used one it may be plugged or leak & may not
be {much} cheaper.  If you absolutely need the hand crank hole, they could
put a hole in for you using the meatlwork from your old radiator core.

On the other hand, that hole keeps water from flowing in the middle couple of
inc

inches of your radiator.  If you do not have them put the hole in, you
radiator could cool with all its core rods.

License plate:

My TR3 has british plates with "XHP938".  This was the plate number of one of
the TRSs.  I will surplus these & put on british plates that has the number
of one of the factory rally cars.  The Land Rover had plates with the
breed name of dairy goats that I raise.  I dumped the plates several years
ago because I got tired about the extra cost of vanity plates.  The
Land Rover now has Historical plates on it.  Cheapest price {satisfies my
Scottish blood} & EVERYONE asks about the car & plates.

Roadster: traditionally this was a car that ONLY came in a body style that did
not have a hard top version. They had side curtains rather than roll up
windows and a more weather resistant interior.  The side curtain requirement
has been dropped by many sinse everything has had roll up windows since the
'60s.

Fixed Head Coupe: This is a two door hard top car.

Drop head coup: this is a two door car that does not have a hard top, but has
the same interior appointments as the fixed head version. {key is that it is
available with or without a hard top}.

Early Jags came in all three configurations: Fixed head, drop head {same
interior as fixed head coup & roll up windows} and roadster {more weather
resistant interior & side curtians}.

Saloon: 4 door hard top

hood: this is the soft top

sticks: British term for bows. This is what holds the hood up.

bonnet:  this is the hood

boot:  trunk

wing:  fender

bulk head: this is the fire wall

propeller shaft:  drive shaft

spanner:  wrench

This should be enough so that you can understand most of the conversations.

Take care,

TeriAnn