More MPG's

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: More MPG's
From: doddp@ecn.purdue.edu (Paul E Dodd)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 11:17:23 -0500
I'm glad to hear everyone else is having such good luck with high
MPG's.  Unfortunately, I don't seem to do so well.  My LBC is a 1960
MGA 1600 and last time I bought gas I averaged about 16 MPG in daily
around town driving.  The car has 90K on original engine and tranny,
and fouls plugs on the shelves of autoparts stores when I drive by.
But if I lean out the mixture it won't run.  Carbs were just rebuilt,
didn't help.  I'm fighting a losing battle against friction somewhere!

And if that isn't bad enough, my other LBC (this one a Large British
Coupe) gets around 11 MPG.  But that was expected as its a '76 XJ6C.

However, as it can be seen from other people's reports, mileage in
LBC's is in general very good.  My brother had a '77 B that got
around 30 MPG on the highway.  Perhaps a bigger problem is the MPQ
(eg Castrol) in LBC's....

Paul
(doddp@ecn.purdue.edu)