Re: winter starts..

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: winter starts..
From: ks5k@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 12:17:52 EST

        I am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned ignition coils..
>From all that I have been told, a new ignition coil can make a big
difference.  An older degrading coil can generate a weak spark, and as
the engine  gets colder with the weather a stronger spark is needed.

        I should be getting a new coil soon from TRF (along with a
Brake master cylinder rebuild kit - ruined a new set of tennies :) )
After replacing the new coil, I'll report any change in starting.
Currently the situation is: starts right off if I am starting within
4-6 hours of driving it previously, otherwise it takes 8-12 seconds of
cranking before this is an explosion.

        Seems like we all definately have similar problems.

        Should one block part of the radiator horizontally or
vertically?  Perpendicular to the fins or parallel?
One would think the cardboard (or whatever) should stretch accross
the horizontal length since then you are still getting air to
all the fins, but just in a smaller area. Otherwise you block
some fins off completely... (?)

Kristian