Re: MGB Engine Rebuild

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: MGB Engine Rebuild
From: garnett@theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 1991 09:46:11 EST
On Jan 2, 12:10pm, Teriann J. Wakeman wrote:
}
} 1. If the engine is worn and you are planning to rebuild the car "right" and
} keep it, you might wish to purchas as many of the parts before you pull the
} engine

Except, there are some parts that you won't be able to order without seeing
the condition of the old ones. Unless you're going to replace everything
you can.  Pistons, main & rod bearings have to wait until the machine work is
done, so that you will know what size to get.

} 5. When I first started, I placed nuts & bolts into containers so they would
} not get lost.

RIght, and then you have everything, but don't know where it goes.

I have a box of clear baggies, and a permanant magic marker at hand. Each
piece or group of hardware goes in it's own bag, and the description
is written on it. Then the bags from each area, like "engine, topside", or
"head and rocker assemblies" are placed together in coffee cans. Include
any broken or munged hardware, so you know what needs to be replaced
as you go through and clean everything, and put it back in it's labeled bag.

I do this whether the job is going back together the next day, or
farther in the future. Reassembly goes a lot faster when you don't have
to think about what goes where. And, this goes for *EVERY PIECE* of
loose hardware. Stuff looses it's identity real fast when it's just
sitting on the workbench, and you or someone else is setting something
else down, or cleaning up.  Complete organization and labeling also
helps out a lot if you have to reassemble down the road. 15 seconds
spent now can be worth many hours later.
        I also write down every thing that looks like it might need
to be ordered *as* it comes apart. You just can't remember everything
when there's so many assemblies. You can always cross it off later
if you change your mind.

} 6. Writing about fasteners ... BEFORE you replace any nuts or bolts
} clean the threads!!!

A tap and die set can both clean threads, and repair munged threads...

} 10. Before disconnecting hoses & wires, place masking tape on them.

Or use self-stick paper labels. The glue doesn't tend to gum as much.

      Roger Garnett           (garnett@BATCOMPUTER.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
        The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."