Reassembly, etc.

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Reassembly, etc.
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 91 09:21:33 pst
Having gone through the frustration of trying to sort through the
zillions of nuts, bolts, washers, etc.  during engine reassembly, I
strongly agree with Roger's recommendation to put every piece and bit
into labelled baggies or Zip-locs.  Not only does this keep all the
miscellany straight, but no matter how well intentioned your plans,
reassembly often gets postponed long beyond your original estimate.
Something unexpected comes up; some essential part is on 3 month
back-order; that little machining job takes 2 months instead of the 5
days quoted.

If for some reason you are ever faced with an assembly tasks starting
with a bucket of nuts and bolts, I've found that sorting everything into
groups helps a lot.  For example if you discover that the water pump
requires 7 bolt to attach it to the block and you have one group of 7
identical bolts of about the correct size and length, this can go a long
ways towards ruling out similar bolts from another group that doesn't
number 7.  This trick has saved my buns a time or two on what I thought
were simple component reassemblies.  I still recommend Roger's approach
but we don't always have control over what someone else has left for us.

DIES & TAPS:

One possible source of Whitworth or BS dies and taps is Snap-On.  I know
they sell W and BS wrenches and socket.

FASTERERS:

Years ago a friend of mine claimed he put Loctite on all of the bolts
while assembling the engine in the car he raced, even the bearing cap
and connecting rod bolts.  Have any of you do this?  Does this seem like a
good idea?  I've never tried it myself.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.hp.com
CSX2282