A Healey by Anyother Name...

To: '"acsu.buffalo.edu!british-cars%encore.com"@planck'.acsu.buffalo.edu (sol)
Subject: A Healey by Anyother Name...
From: tobin@hercules.acsu.buffalo.edu (Mike Tobin)
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 7:54:34 EDT
Both to satisfy my own curiosity and keep this from becoming
MG-TR@encore.com, I've got a trivia question (for which - in violation
of trivia rules - I do not have the answer).

We're all familiar with Big Healey model designations as found on the
little chrome badges (100/4, 100/6, 3000).  However, those of us who
have to buy parts for the beasts know that really matters are the first
three character of the car's serial number.  For example if you are
subject to draughts and need to raise the side windows even while moving
or lack the mechanical aptitude/thumb-forefinger strength to erect a
two-piece hood you drive a BJ8 .  Or if when ordering carberettor parts
you need to order 3ea instead of 2ea you have a BT7.

Anybody out there know what these things mean?  The numbers on the
chrome badges make as much sense as a lot of other model designations,
but I can't make any connection between the attributes of the cars and
BT7, BN7 etc..

Smilies all around - natch.

Mike BT7 Tobin
planck!hercules!tobin@acsu.buffalo.edu