Re: "Whitworth" (Cresent) Wrenches

To: yale!Eng.Sun.COM!banta@encore.com
Subject: Re: "Whitworth" (Cresent) Wrenches
From: yale!harvard!tc.fluke.COM!pwv@encore.encore.com (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 12:10:32 PST
> A tip for extending the life of your Whitworth wrenches:  Unless you
> don't have room in your application, turn them so the sliding jaw is
> getting less of the load.  I thought this was understood, but have
> seen people use them backwards so often, I thought I'd mention it.  I
> will now make a sorry attempt to include pictures.
>
>            /\                      /\
>          #|  |X                  X|  |#
>          # \/ X                  X \/ #
>         XXXXXXX                  XXXXXXX
>           XX                        XX
>           XX  -> this way           XX <- this way
>           XX                        XX
>
> Where # is the sliding jaw, and the Xs are the wrench, including the
> fixed jaw.  The arrows are showing direction of handle travel.
>
> andy

Uh, did you mean to show the *wrong* way to use a "Whitworth" (cresent)
wrench?  This is just the opposite of what I've always believed is the
"right way", so that the "sliding jaw is getting less of the load" where
# is the sliding jaw.

This is how *I* always use them:

           /\                      /\
         #|  |X                  X|  |#
         ##\/XX                  XX\/##
        XXXXXXX                  XXXXXXX
          XX                        XX
          XX  <- this way           XX  -> this way
          XX                        XX

(er, that is, *If* I were ever to use one, I'd never use anything like a
Cresent wrench on any of *my* cars! ;-)

Ah, the wonders of ASCII pictures ... ;-)

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA