Books

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Books
From: gerry@speedy.att.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 91 10:24 EST
>  The clutch release bearing has gone on my 68 Midget. Anyone care to
>  recommend a reasonable workshop in the SF bay-area for the repair
>  (O'Connor Classics in San Jose quoted about $1000 which to me seems
>  a bit unreasonable!).

To Keith : If I were you, you'll save yourself a bunch of $$$$$ by doing the
job yourself. A Clutch, clutch cover and release bearing can be obtained
for about $80. To replace the clutch you can rent a hoist, and remove the
engine yourself in about 2-3 hours. Replacement takes a little longer,
because getting the gearbox to mate correctly with the motor sometimes
takes 10 seconds or 1 hour !!!!.

When I remove the engine on my Midget, I drain all engine fluids, remove the
radiator, remove both manifolds, and heater pipes. Disconnect any other
wires, pipes etc, remove the engine mounts, and bell-housing bolts. Once
this is done, the engine lifts out pretty easily. I can remove an engine
in just over 1 hour (but I have done it many times !!!!). I have a friend
who instead of lifting the engine out of the car, just pulls the engine
forwards, so that the front of the engine rests on the cross-member (where
the steering rack is bolted). The engine will then tilt backwards and
you should be able to get to the clutch without actually lifting the
enbgine out of the car.

Replacement is just as easy once the gearbox input shaft has mated correctly
with the pilot hole in the flywheel (this is a hit or miss operation -
at least every time that I have done it)

I certainly would not pay $1000 dollars to have this job done, hell for
that price I can have an engine rebuilt !

>  I am about to get a new exhaust system for foocar, and while I
>  am at it, would like to upgrade from the stock heaaders.
>  Does anybody have any lines on performance headers for a Cortina 1600 GT
>  (crossflow).

To Larry : When I had my Cortina 1600E (MKII), I had a 4-branch exhaust
manifold, hooked up to a Peco Big Bore system. I believe at the time (10
years ago now) this was one of the best systems for the Kent engine.
I lived in England at the time, so parts was no problem. I used to get
most of my performance parts from Demon Tweaks and directly from Janspeed.
Both of these make excellent performance parts for that engine.
If you want I can give several address where you can get parts for
(All of them in England).

When I order parts for my Scimitar, I always call England, give them a
credit card number and the parts arrive within 7 days. Phone calls to England
are cheaper than you think !!!. I get up at 4am (the cheap rate for the
telephone company) and phone England (it will be 10am over there).

BTW : have you tried Pegasus here in the States.
Did you know that a steering rack from a Mk1 or MK2 Escort (English) will
fit the Cortina ? You can throw that stupid steering box away and get
a good rack & pinion steering instead.

Gerry