BMC

To: british-cars%encore.com@munnari.OZ.AU
Subject: BMC
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee])
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 08:44:29 +1100
>>Whne I first saw the specs for the MGC I thought "what a coincidence:
>>the displacement is identical to the Healey motor."  It never occurred
>>to me that they would put that heavy and ancient engine in a new MG.

I noticed the same thing.  I think the Austin 3 litre (or liter for US readers)
also has the 2912cc (?) engine in an upgraded 1800 body.

>At the time, BMC was intent on badge-engineering everything it could.

The BMC policy for reusing old technology was possibly one of its downfalls.
They could have made fantastic Minis etc. if they used modern engines etc.
Instead, they used 1950s-60s technology right through to the early 80s.  (Bad
management decisions like scrapping the MGB, no doubt sealed their fate).
Of course, there is the advantage that you can replace many components in Minis
without much difficulty (apart from access ;-) as spares are plentiful and
virtually never changed throughout the 30+ years of its production.

|   John Taylor  [The Banshee]         Victoria University of Technology     |
|  s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au    (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) |
|   MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD.          Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA       |