To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: RE>Re- Pre-oiling Engines
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 22 Jan 91 11:34:58
        Reply to:   RE>Re: Pre-oiling Engines

--------------------------------------
Date: 1/22/91
To: Jerry Kaidor
From: dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com

| GatorMail-Q                   Pre-oiling Engines
| Then I hooked everything up, and rotated the engine with the starter (
| sparkplugs out ).  Instant oil pressure!
|
|     - Jerry

I've also used the crank on starter with no plugs approach, with good
results.
Recently a friend loaned me a metal pressure bottle, which he uses to prime
engines. He puts a quart of oil in it, attaches it to the oil gallery, and uses
air pressure to force the oil in to prime the bearings and fill the oil
filter and cooler. I'm going to use it on an engine I'm putting together
now.

    Sounds like an EZ-BLEED!  This is a plastic bottle that is used for
pressure-bleeding brakes.   Two hoses go to the bottle.  One goes to a source
of compressed air, like your spare tire ( 20psi max ), the other goes to the
bottom of the bottle.   The compressed air forces the fluid in the bottle out
through the second hose. Does a great job on brakes, should work fine for this
too.  Only trouble is, then my Ez-bleed would be all full of oil :-(.

         - Jerry Kaidor