Re: TR^ Starter Problems

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: TR^ Starter Problems
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 91 18:02:59 -0800
>been bugging me for a while.  Occasionally when trying to start
>the car, the starter will make a click-click-clicking noise, and
>sometimes just a single click and then nothing.  Later, it will
>start just fine, sometimes, thinking that maybe the starter isn't
>engaging the teeth correctly, I would push the car a few feet with
>the car in 4th and then it would sometimes start.  Any suggestions
>of where to start looking (or even "get a new starter" suggestions)
>would be appreciated.

Jeff,

It sounds to me like you've got worn-out or dirty contacts in your starter
relay.  The juice isn't making it through the relay to the solenoid itself.
If it were me, I'd try pulling the relay apart (is it integral with the
solenoid?) and polishing the contacts with a bit of fine wet/dry
sandpaper, then a pencil eraser.  (Of else replace them entirely, if
possible.)

Anyone agree?  Disagree?  (I'm extrapolating from the starter on my '70
Plymouth, the only one I've had apart.  I don't know from TR6... .)

-coryc

|    >> Disclaimer: I speak for Sequent only in our hardware manuals <<        |
| Cory R. Carpenter, Tech Writer |                                             |
| Sequent Computer Systems, Inc. | Don't play with my mind... you don't know   |
| Beaverton, Oregon, USA         | where it's been!
|| |     coryc@sequent.com          |
|  |