Re: MGB Shorts

To: british-cars%encore.com@munnari.OZ.AU
Subject: Re: MGB Shorts
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee])
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 91 09:05:05 +1100
>Shorts, by definition, usually cause smoke, fuse popping and possible eventual
>mass destruction.  If you see evidence of this, I'd avoid the car.  I had
>occasion some years ago to try to separate the wires in a partially burned up
>wiring harness on a 72 B.  A very nasty experience indeed.

My uncle experienced a short whilst restoring his MGB.  He noticed smoke coming
from behind the dash (I think) and scrambled around wildly looking for the right
sized spanner to undo the battery terminals...  (One good reason to keep your
tools neatly laid out, or a good "shifter" handy ;-)  He has now installed a
battery "key"-switch, which also is a fairly good theft-deterent (except that
all keys are the same)

|   John Taylor  [The Banshee]         Victoria University of Technology     |
|  s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au    (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) |
|   MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD.          Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA       |