starters etc.

To: britcars@ucscc.UCSC.EDU
Subject: starters etc.
From: linus!mit-eddie!ucscc.UCSC.EDU!red4est!lrc@encore.encore.com (Larry Colen - Nerd in a black leather jacket)
Date: Thu Jan 24 01:41:51 1991
  Series A starters are interchangeable with rootes group
(Alpine/Husky/Minx).
  Series A generators interchange with Cortinas.
(I should say Spridget, not just Series A)
   with the generators, it may be necessary to change the
pulley wheel.
  Interestingly enough the bolt pattern for a spridget
diff is the same as on the cortina, as is the bolt
pattern from the diff to the driveshaft.  (actually Cortinas
have 2 sizes of flanges here, due to a long and complicated
mess, my cortina is actually running a spridget u-joint
and flange on it's drive shaft.)  The splines are different
between tuna and sprite, but the gears that mesh with the
half shafts may actually interchange.  I don't know if this
is of any use, but if anyone has one with blown diff,
diffs for the other and no money, it might be possible
to make something work.  It may also be easier to
get gearing for one than the other.
   Larry